iGita’s 250 Hour Yoga Teacher Training Program is designed to be accessible to people of all ages,
abilities, and fitness levels.
Immerse Yourself in Yoga Now is the Time
iGita’s 250 Hour Yoga Teacher Training Program is designed to be accessible to people of all ages, abilities, and fitness levels.
Whether it’s your plan to teach, or develop a deeper personal practice, you’ll find iGita’s program inspirational and transformative. It will give you the solid foundation that you need to practice and teach safely, skillfully and with integrity.
Top 6 reasons to do your training with iGita:
- Nobody fails! It’s our commitment to you. Our program is divided into modules to accommodate different learning curves, work, and family related commitments. Modules may be completed in succession, or individually collected over time, as your schedule allows. Participants may also choose to repeat modules at no extra cost. It is our mission to offer ongoing support and mentorship until each and every student succeeds in achieving their goals.
- Multiple styles of yoga will be explored during this training program, including Hatha, Vinyasa, Hot, Yin, and Ashtanga.
- Your tuition fees include unlimited classes at iGita for one full year from the course commencement date. (Early birds get to start as early as the deposit is received!)
- Our program is registered with both Yoga Alliance (RYS 200) and Canadian Yoga Alliance (CRYS-Gold).
- Study with your favorite iGita teachers! They happen to be among the best and most sought after in the GTA.
- You start teaching from day one of the program! Our Teacher Training will give you the tools required, and the confidence, to actually get out there and teach. The most common complaint we hear from people seeking out Teacher Training after already completing 200hrs elsewhere is,‘I don’t feel anywhere near ready to teach after graduating my teacher training.’ This is why it was imperative to us to develop a Teacher Training that ensures you’ll feel confident in your ability to teach upon completion of iGita’s Teacher Training Program.
Who should apply?
Applicants don’t need to be advanced, but should have a commitment to regular ongoing yoga practice.
Have questions about the program? You should! In addition to public information sessions, we meet with applicants privately, by appointment, to discuss this important decision with you.
Call or text 905 320 8134 to book your appointment.
There are 7 modules that make up the iGita 250hr Teacher Training.*
- Anatomy & Physiology (45hrs) $ 600
- Teaching Asana (125hrs) $ 1800*
- Yoga Philosophy (30hrs) $ 600
- Pranayama & Meditation (16hrs) $ 200
- Subtle Energy Systems (16hrs) $ 250
- The Art of Sequencing (20hrs) $ 400
- The Yoga Profession (4hrs) $ 100
Full Program $ 3600**
Save $350 when enroll in full program*
Full Program (early bird special) $ 3400***
* All modules and corresponding homework and exams must be completed in order to receive certification as a 200hr-RYT.
** Save $350 when you enroll in the full program. Includes one year unlimited membership @ iGita, a $1200 value.
*** Save an additional $200 when deposit is received a minimum of 1 month prior to commencement of course.
Teach training really opened my eyes to the world of yoga by showing me so many different aspects of yoga that aren't highlighted in a class. It covered the physical and spiritual teachings of yoga and how to go about teaching that in a class and you start teaching almost right away so you get a lot of practice in! They really want you to develop your teachings and help you do that in a supportive and communal way! - Kiana, 19
Module - 1: Anatomy & Physiology
In partnership with Leslie Kaminoff’s Yoga Anatomy Fundamentals 20hrs of home study, plus 25hrs in-class
Yoga Anatomy Fundamentals
It is critical that Yoga instructors have a good understanding of anatomy in order to keep their students safe. This 45hr module willdelve deeply into the study of:
In this 45 hours course you will study:
- The muscular & skeletal systems
- Functional bio-kinetic movement patterns
- Body systems and how they are affected by asana practice
The course includes:
- 20 hours of video training divided into 10 themed units
- Full text transcripts of the lessons
- Downloadable/ printable handouts, visuals, and worksheets
- Asana video library of deconstructed poses
Unit 1: Building Blocks
Unit 2: The Breath
Unit 3: Strength, Flexibility & Movement
Unit 4: The Spine
Unit 5: The Lower Limbs
Unit 6: The Upper Limbs
Unit 7: Anatomy in Asana + Asana Philosophy
Unit 8: Anatomy in Asana + Pain & Sensation
Unit 9: Anatomy in Asana + Vinyasa
Unit 10: Anatomy in Asana + Arm Supports
Upon completion of this module, students will be required to pass both a written and an oral examination to demonstrate a proficient understanding of the mechanics of the human body.
Completing the Teacher Training at iGita was life-changing. Amazing instruction from qualified teachers, many opportunities to observe great teachers at the studio and practice-teaching early on. I felt prepared to teach when I finished and soon found employment - Julie, 46
Module - 2: Teaching Asana
We aim to ensure each student teacher understands and is able to correctly identify proper technique and muscular engagements. Understanding correct form is critical so that you may learn to teach asana in a safe and effect way without risking injury to students.
Study will include:
- Alignment principles & theory of technique
- Study of 50+ foundational asana
- Benefits, contraindications and modifications
- Teaching styles, language, cueing and voice control
- Observing, assisting and correcting
- Use of props
- Proper warm-up, safety, injury prevention and management
Students are required to:
- Participate in a minimum of 3 yoga classes per week
- Keep a journal & practice log, to be handed in prior to graduation
- Have a 90% attendance record for this module
Module - 3: Yoga Philosophy
In this module, students will be introduced to a few of the important classical yoga texts of India:
- Hatha Yoga Pradipika
- Gheranda Samhita
- Bhagavad Gita
- Yoga Sutras
Students will be taught the traditional methods of practice and will begin to understand why we practice and experience the benefits of Asana from a classical perspective. Topics of discussion will include:
- Importance of Practice
- The classical definition of Hatha Yoga
- The relationship of Hatha Yoga and Rāja Yoga
- Bhagavad Gīta and Upanisats in relation to Yoga
- The concept of Māya
- Methods to achieve the Self Realization
- Definition, Functions & Classifications of Prāna
- Practices to withdraw the sensory organs
- Patanjali's Yoga Sutras: The student will learn several Classical Yoga practices as traditionally taught in accordance with the various aphorisms.
Module - 4: Pranayama & Meditation
Students are introduced to Ayurveda, the Indian Life Science, and guided through the proper techniques of 8 different breathing exercises.
Students will also learn healthy lifestyle habits, including meditation, breathing and cleansing techniques.
- The benefits
- How, when and where
- 3 meditation techniques
HOMEWORK: Students are encouraged to practice some of these techniques daily and keep a journal. Journals are to be handed in upon completion of the program. This daily practice will help students develop ’breath awareness' and in turn a deeper somatic awareness - an important quality in a good yoga teacher.
I have been in the fitness industry for 25 years and taken numerous fitness courses... This certification was by far the most intensive and well rounded course I have completed ... EVER!! Igita's 250 hour Instructor Course prepared me to lead a yoga class with confidence and thoughtful sequences. I can't wait to add Yoga Instructor to my resume - Erin, 45
Module - 5: Subtle Energy
In this module, we will discuss the subtle energy present in nature, in our environment, and in ourselves, and in turn some of its positive and negative effects on our physical and emotional bodies. Topics of discussion include:
- The 3 fundamental forces in nature that make up the universe
- Energy channels in our bodies
- What are Chakras? Characteristics & Symbolism
- Bija Mantras
- Corresponding elements, possible corresponding glands and nerve plexus
- Bandhas and Mudras, use of
- Mental, physical and emotional connections we have to our energetic systems
- A comparison of the modern vs. traditional chakra systems, as per classical texts:
- Padaka Pancaka,
- Sat Cakra Nirvana
Module - 6: Sequencing & Class Planning
In-depth study will take place on several modern styles of yoga, including the sequences of Ashtanga, Hot Yoga, and the Sivananda series.
Using three tried and true methods of sequencing, students will also confidently be able to design their own classes in the styles of:
The teachers were amazing! They were all so different but each one brought something special and unique to the program. I didn’t want it to end! - Jessica, 36
Module - 7: The Yoga Profession
Everything you need to know about the business of yoga!
- Studio etiquette
- Business ethics
- Being your own boss
- Cultivating & preserving abundance
- Marketing your services
- Understanding your tax obligations
- How & when to create your own teaching space
- Forever a student
I believe the universe conspired to help the teaching profession “find’ me.
You see, I practiced yoga every day. I read a lot of books. But it wasn’t my idea to teach. One day, friends, and others that knew me, started asking me questions and eventually wanted me to teach them. It wasn’t natural for me. At first, I struggled to find the right words. But through my perseverance and determination to help other people in their practice, I got better at it and more and more people started coming to me for help. It was a journey.
Everybody’s journey is different. But the simple fact that you are reading these words at the back of this brochure is a message that you need to explore this possibility further.
Teaching has become “my yoga practice”. For me, it is 10x more rewarding than the yoga practice itself. There is something deep inside me, and within us all, that wants to help, inspire and serve other people in some way. Because I have experienced the personally transformative, healing, and rejuvenating powers of yoga first hand and witnessed it in others, it has become my life’s work. Teaching teachers is my highest calling. It will be my honor and privilege to support you on this journey.
Maureen Rae Vohora
Co-Founder, managing partner, Yoga teacher & 250hr RYS Faculty
iGita Yoga Studio
The faculty bring an extraordinary amount of knowledge, and an authentic approach, to iGita’s Teacher Training program and were tremendously inspiring and supportive during the training, as well as after graduation. I hadn’t initially planned to teach and was just looking to deepen my own practice but through the course I found it to be hugely rewarding. Shortly after finishing my training I began teaching at several studios and leading classes for corporate clients - Cliff, 46
“In the practice of Yoga one can emphasize the body, the mind or the self and hence the effort can never be fruitless.” - T. Krishnamacharya